The Manchester Co-operative Credit Union (1977) had its genesis in 1947 as a study group under the leadership of the late principal of the then Holmwood Practical Training Centre (now Holmwood Technical High School), Mr. F.R. Ricketts and his assistant the late Mr. Sydney Carter. The study group moved from house to house, sharing the vision and philosophy of the Credit Union and the prospects for the future. The first members came mainly from the staff of Holmwood and members of the immediate community.
The group was named Middlesex Co-operative Credit Union and was registered in 1948 under the Provident Society Act ( that was before the advent of the Co-operative Societies Act in 1950). During these times there were no paid staff and work was done by volunteers. Office was established upstairs the Emergency Drug Store of the late Elsie Bailey, but later moved to share office space with the Christiana Peoples Co-operative Bank. The late Messrs. Hugh Lindo and G. L. Alexander both foundation members of Middlesex , took the message to Coleyville and there established the Coleyville Co-operative Credit Union. This however grew beyond their ability to manage it, hence in 1968 negotiations were entered into for the amalgamation of Coleyville with Middlesex. This was completed in 1972 and the new entity was named Central Co-operative Credit Union.
In the meantime, Mr. G.W. Morgan and Mrs. C. Delaphena saw a need in the Mandeville area and started the Manchester Movement. This operated out of premises where Mrs. Delaphena did business until an office was acquired on Hotel Street. This Credit Union was not doing very well while Central Credit Union had become the backbone of the Credit Union Movement in Manchester.
In 1977 a second amalgamation was negotiated with Manchester and thus was born Manchester Co-operative Credit Union (1977) Limited. The name was chosen because the new vision was now for one big Parish Credit Union and since there was already a " Manchester" all that was needed to differentiate them was the "1977", thus Manchester (1977).